At Arcadis we focus on attracting, retaining and developing people who share our passion and commitment to improve quality of life. In return we offer you the opportunity to transform your world and the world around you, that could be through client work, upskilling yourself, championing equality and inclusion or getting involved in charity work, to name just a few. Our people value different perspectives, they care about the sustainability of our planet and dare to shape the future.
One of our core values is ‘people first’, and supported by our Lovinklaan foundation, we invest in you for the long term, to ensure you reach your full potential. You’ll have the opportunity to own your career and work on industry-defining projects, finding solutions to real challenges that make a difference to people’s lives. You’re encouraged to have a growth mindset and are given the space to develop personally and professionally, building a flexible career that works for you.
We currently have an opportunity for a talented Principal Drainage Engineer – Rail to join our Rail NW & Central Business Unit, with options to be based in our Warrington, Manchester or Birmingham centres, but with effective remote working increasing, we will appoint in other locations for a candidate that will make an impact on our team. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a dynamic and successful team that is growing rapidly. You will be rewarded with a rich diet of interesting and challenging rail projects and an opportunity to develop their careers with a successful global engineering consultancy.
A great opportunity to bring your capability and enthusiasm to a genuinely inclusive, multi-disciplinary team, motivated to apply our expertise to improve the rail network in the north, midlands and beyond – expanding our rail business and developing our people in the process by focusing on creating mature working relationships with our client contacts within Network Rail, HS2 Ltd, the D&B community and Transport bodies.
With Equality, Diversity and Inclusion central to our growth plans, we are looking for an experienced Principal (Drainage) Engineer, or experienced Senior (Drainage) Engineer looking to take the next career step in taking responsibility for Drainage Design Delivery aspects of a portfolio of Civils/Stations/Depots led schemes in Network Rail and HS2 arena, including client liaison, managing and developing an existing drainage design team and liaising with other engineering disciplines. CRE experience preferable, but mentoring will be provided if currently working towards this.
You will join an experienced team within our regional Business Unit and report to an experienced Drainage Engineering Manager.
Our UK Rail Team continues to add to their impressive list of project awards and recent successes have seen them secure some of the UK’s most high profile, complex and stimulating projects to complement their existing portfolio of works including Network Rail Civils and Multi-Discipline Programmes across all Network Rail Regions working directly for Network Rail, the Rail contracting community, the Rail System Alliance North, HS2 Main Works Civils Design and Checking activities & other major programmes.
Representing approximately 16% of our global business, the railway sector is one of Arcadis core markets, a position it has held throughout our 150-year history. We have an enviable reputation for delivery of some of the UK’s, and indeed the World’s, most prestigious and challenging schemes. We have been involved in all major rail programmes since the 1980s including the Jubilee Line Extension, West Coast Main Line, Thameslink, Crossrail, IEP, HS1, Northern Hub, HS2, and Euston Re-development.
As a result of our continuing success, we are keen to significantly grow our Rail Teams, specifically to work on the NW & Central Region on the CP6 Workbank, our extensive HS2 portfolio and to position and maximise our contribution to the emerging Northern Powerhouse Rail and Midlands Hub programmes.
- Infrastructure and drainage design and modelling using a variety of software and manual calculation methods.
- Project duties will include preparation of design solutions at various stages of a project; preparation of drawings / BIM models, reports, specifications and estimates; document management; attendance at meetings and checking the work of other team members to ensure accuracy.
- Project management duties will include co-ordination of a wide range of discipline inputs; monitoring and protecting our client relationships; planning and programming; commercial management and presenting projects for audit.
- Contributing to the resolution of technical issues on projects and providing technical guidance to other team members, such as junior engineers, technicians and apprentices.
- Working in collaboration with other design disciplines to ensure the integrity of the overall design.
- Promoting and developing the technical capability of other team members.
- Gaining awareness of, and familiarity with, the commercial aspects of projects to develop commercial skills.
- Working to ensure maximum client satisfaction, championing client care and proactively working with the client
- Promote the culture of the business
Qualifications & Experience:
- Have a BSc/BEng or MSc/MEng or equivalent in a relevant discipline
Achieved Chartered or Incorporated Engineer professional status, or equivalent
- Substantial design experience gained in development infrastructure including railways, highways or other major infrastructure schemes throughout the UK
- A proven background in development infrastructure including surface water, foul water drainage, highway and utility design
- Sound knowledge of SuDS, SfA, DMRB, and Local Authority design standards
- Experienced in preparing initial feasibility and site appraisal studies, working as part of a multi-disciplinary team to deliver successful planning applications
- Detailed design delivery for development led and transport infrastructure
- Expertise in software design methods such as MicroDrainage, AutoCAD and Civils3D including integration with BIM models
- Technically competent in fundamental design principles and have ability to apply manual calculation methods where software methods are not available
- Line management and performance management experience
- Demonstrated experience in a client facing position
Why Become an Arcadian?
Our work with clients has a direct impact on people’s lives and on the planet. We make moving, living and belonging in cities safer, more resilient and more sustainable. By partnering with our clients as responsible custodians of our earth’s resources, we can create a sustainable planet.
We continue to think of new ways to make positive impacts and create better experiences for people; data driven and digital solutions have become part of the Arcadis DNA. Working together with clients and using techniques like design thinking, we can get to the heart of our clients’ most pressing challenges and work together to solve them.
As a global business, we have committed to support five of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals to ensure that our projects contribute to a better and more sustainable future for all. But it’s not just the work that we do on client projects that benefits communities and our planet. As a global business, we are committed to making a positive impact to society by supporting local communities where we operate.
To help protect our planet, we monitor and measure non-financial information to inform business decisions and reduce our own environmental impact as part of our commitment to be net zero carbon as a global company by 2030.
Our Commitment to Equality, Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging:
We want you to be able to bring your best self to work every day which is why we take equality and inclusion seriously and hold ourselves to account for our actions. Our ambition is to be an employer of choice and provide a great place to work for all our people. We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.
Transform Your World
Arcadis is the leading global Design & Engineering Consultancy for natural and built assets. Applying our deep market sector insights and collective design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services we work in partnership with our clients to deliver exceptional and sustainable outcomes throughout the lifecycle of their natural and built assets. We are 28,000 people, active in over 70 countries that generate €3.5 billion in revenues. We support UN-Habitat with knowledge and expertise to improve the quality of life in rapidly growing cities around the world.
From climate change to rapid urbanization, our world is a more complex place.
Whether it is maximizing space in cities or making wasteland habitable, we deliver exceptional and sustainable outcomes for our clients. Our people work collaboratively to create value through built and natural assets that work in harmony with their surroundings – from shopping centers in Shanghai to new rail systems in Doha and reducing air pollution in Los Angeles.
Arcadis. Improving quality of life.